Premiership Talk Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FIFA Player of the Year 2008

4 posters

Go down

FIFA Player of the Year 2008 Empty FIFA Player of the Year 2008

Post by Andy Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:48 am

After reading the FIFA World Player of The Year Article i starting thinking.

Sure it's impressive that Ronaldo scored 42 goals in 49 matches last season, but 6 of these were penalties. Now i'm not saying it doesn't take skill to score a penalty, but relative to a normal free play goal it isn't comparable. So that means he scored 36 goals in 49 matches (excl. penalties). This is certainly an impressive tally, but less so when compared to Torres' tally of 33 goals in 46 matches, none of which being penalties of free kicks. The goal to game ratio of Ronaldo's is slightly better i wsill concede.

But i feel we should also move onto looking at free kicks. I know many people are in awe of his free kicking 'ability' but i have to say, all Ronaldo does is hit and hope. Sure he scored one of the best of the season against Portsmouth, but the amount of time he misses the target or scuffs it along the floor hugely outweighs his accurate hits. He scored 5 goals from free-kicks last season meaning that his tally is 31 from 49 matches from open play. Starting to look less impressive huh? I will concede that Torres did play up front in the middle, whereas Ronaldo played more of a wide striker position.

I'm not saying that it's not impressive what Ronaldo did, but the article was so dismissive of Torres' chances for World Player of the Year that i feel something had to be mentioned. Lets not forget that Torres scored the winning goal in Euro 08 and was injured for a couple of games. Now for the anti-climax, having said all that I don't think that the title should go to Torres, nor Ronaldo for that matter. I'm a big fan of Messi and whilst he may not have had a season in terms of achievements comparable to Ronaldo's or Torres' the man can change games. Not just any games, big games. When was the last time Ronaldo put in a world class performance against a big team?

I'm just wondering what you all thought of the article and the points which i have brought up here? Who do you think should be Player of the Year? Is there anyone not on the list you think it could have gone to [e.g. Gerrard Wink]?
Andy
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

FIFA Player of the Year 2008 Empty Re: FIFA Player of the Year 2008

Post by Brian Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:55 am

Andy, I think you and I agree a lot here actually. I think Torres is a brilliant player, but this award is more than just goals; it's also about silverware. The fact is Ronaldo scored all those goals whilst leading his team to the two biggest club titles in the world. Who of these other players can stand there today saying they are winner of their domestic league title and winner of their continental title?

And the Ronaldo not showing up in big games myth - I'd say he showed up in almost all of the crucial CL matches. His monstrous header against Roma, and especially his goal in the final against Chelsea. Sure, he missed his pen in the shootout, but does that mean he didn't show up over the course of 120 minutes? No. In fact, the other 21 players on that pitch (minus John Terry I guess you could say) all disappeared as well.

And yes, Messi is just in sensational form. I think he'll win it in 2009 to be honest.
Brian
Brian
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Team Supported : Manchester United

http://www.premiershiptalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:54 pm

Overall, I think Ronaldo does deserve the award, due to everything that's been brought up, primarily goals and silverware. And I do think Messi will win it in 2009 (keeping fingers crossed for the silverware bit). But here are a few comments on some of the lesser points:

I think Torres gets way too much credit for the Euros. The commentators here in the US (ESPN i think) were praising him for getting the goal in the final because he had been either benched or replaced very early the previous game due to ineffectiveness, and they liked his attitude of persevering after being a periferal player for most of the tournament. Remember David Villa? He was the Spain striker that dominated the whole tournament, not Torres.

Also, Torres scored nearly as much as Ronaldo, sure, but I just think Ronaldo being a midfielder/winger had the more impressive season. Torres is a great finisher; Ronaldo created as well as finished.

And Andy, I agree completely about Messi being able to turn a game on its head. And as a huge fan of his, I hope he's able to win at least La Liga this year because he hasnt won it since he's been a regular starter for the team. I'd love to see Barca play United in CL, the generally-agreed top 2 players in the world (Ronaldo in top form in that matchup would be nice).

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 270
Goals : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:10 pm

A bit too early to be considering Messi as stone-wall favourite for 2009 when only a couple of games have actually been played? IF we're going on current form then why could it not be Gerrard's year in 2009. He's been on top form for liverpool constantly turning games on their heads all by himself. If Liverpool win any trophies this season then surely it will be because his performances.
Andy
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Tay Fish Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:20 pm

And Ronaldo takes it...not too surprised...glad to see he got what he deserved...fantastic 2008...hopefully he can step it up in 2009 after a rough start to the season...we saw it last game, so i hope that form continues for the stretch run.
Tay Fish
Tay Fish
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 663
Goals : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:52 pm

okay speaking of 2009 WPOTY, or even the next Ballon D'Or, what will it take for a pure goalscoring forward to take it? The reason I brought it up is because while the leading scorer in England is Anelka, who would never be mentioned for either award, look at La Liga. Samuel Eto'o leads the league in goals with 18 in 18 matches, 4 more than 2nd place David Villa. He seems much more likely to win. If Barca wins La Liga and/or Champions league, Eto'o's dominant return has to be mentioned as one of the most important factors. How feasible is it for an out and out goalscorer like Eto'o to win either award in 2009?

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 270
Goals : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:03 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head, j6pini. Eto'o is doing exactly what is needed, and you got it right when you said if he wins La Liga and the CL then he's done enough.

It's about goals + domestic success + continental success + international success. If Eto's goals lead Barca to a bunch of trophies then he's done enough in my book, and he's off to a ridiculous start.
Brian
Brian
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content