GBR Olympic Team

Go down

GBR Olympic Team

Post by Blackburnbob on Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Ok so there's huge debate on the GBR Football team for 2012 Olympics, Scotland,Ireland and Wales don't fancy it as it will take away their independence.

I get what they are saying but still i think a GBR team would be awesome, to compensate for everyone though i think they should say the squad needs to have at least 2 Scots 2 Irish and 2 Welsh or something like that, just so it's not the England team going out, which is what i think they fear.

Thoughts?
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 650
Goals : 2

Team Supported : Blackburn/Scarborough/Revs!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: GBR Olympic Team

Post by Andy on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Whilst it should happen- it won't. Because of what you said, hard to think of many players that would get into England's team, the under-23yo aspect might change that though i guess. I don't know, would be a good taste of competitive football for youngsters and spending so much time together could get them to gel before they play for England (or whatever other team) proper.
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackburnbob on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:13 pm

That's why if it does happen they should stipulate so many players from each country must feature, ok so it won't be a team as good as England, or will it? I'm sure you could get a half decent team from the 4 seperate unitys?

Giggs would fit nicely from Wales, Maybe Morrison from Scotland and Shay Given Richard Dunne from Rep Ireland, a few could fit in with a basis of an England team.

Would be interesting anyway Smile
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 650
Goals : 2

Team Supported : Blackburn/Scarborough/Revs!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:36 pm

You seem to be forgetting that GB and Rep. of Ireland are different things

Therefore the likes of Given, Keane, etc couldn't play for us. Johnny Evans from Northern Ireland though would work. The only way it would work and be viable as a potential medal winner is to just pick the best players. No point shoving a crap (for example) scottish playerr into the team and having the whole team suffer just for the sake of it. I'm sure because of the olympic age restrictions etc that there would probably be a healthy mix anyway. Funny that no one cares that all 4 unitys aren't covered in events like relays and stuff..
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down