PFA Player of the Year

Go down

PFA Player of the Year

Post by Andy on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Well the results are in and Giggs it is, with Ashley Young being name Young player of the year. Now I completely agree with Young being picked, but the main award i can't help but feel is some sick joke. I think both Vidic and Gerrard can consider themselves EXTREMELY hard done by. Probably having their best seasons and pipped to the title by someone who has been given it as a sympathy vote. This is why I always take these awards with a pinch of salt.

Team of the Year:
GK. van der Sar
Def. Johnson
Def. Vidic
Def. Ferdinand
Def. Evra
Mid. Ronaldo
Mid. Giggs
Mid. Gerrard
Mid. Ashley Young
Str. Anelka
Str. Torres
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PFA Player of the Year

Post by Blackburnbob on Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:54 pm

I'm with Andy, he's only started like 12 games this year, what a joke!!
Here's my team of the year

GK. Schwarzer
Def. Jagielka
Def. Vidic
Def. Carragher
Def. Hangeland
Mid. Lampard
Mid. Gerrard
Mid. Ash Young
Mid. Xabi Alonso
Str. Davies
Str. Arshavin (i know he's only been here half a season but he's fitted in straight away and looks very dangerous)

Player of the year for me Gerrard or Jagielka and i would agree with Young for young player
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 650
Goals : 2

Team Supported : Blackburn/Scarborough/Revs!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

I'd have gone with:

Gk. van der Sar - just cause no one has been outstanding, anyone could have got this award, i'll give it to him because Man U will win the prem. But honestly? He's not the best goalkeeper in the league - it's just Given has had a disrupted season, Cech and Reina have been nervous, and Friedel has an AWFUL defence in front of him.
Def. Johnson - no better right back this season
Def. Vidic - apart from two bad games against Liverpool he's been solid
Def. Hangeland - been great all season; better then Ferdinand for sure
Def. Terry - now i honestly didn't know who to put here. Evra!? are you having a laugh, if he's in the top four defenders in the league i'm a Dutchmans uncle! Anyway Chelsea have the best defence in the league, so how could they not have someone included?
Mid. Ronaldo - still not his best season by a long way - but he does score crazy amount of goals.
Mid. Gerrarrd - season interrupted by injuries yes, but he's been immense this season, even Zidane has called him the best player in the world
Mid. Alonso - Fact is, Liverpool would be nowhere this season without Alonso- he's been unbelievable
Mid. Ashley Young - Best left midfielder in the country by some margin - how he isn't an England regular i have no idea!
Str. Anelka - Top scorer in the league, need i say any more?
Str. Cahill - Oh how i'd love to put 'Torres' in this field, but i feel his place has been a bit of a token jesture: not played enough this season unfortunately. Cahill has been unbelievable this season, Everton would be no where near 6th without him.

Player of the Year - Gerrard
Largely because of Vidic's failure's in both huge matches against Liverpool and Gerrard's class in the second game.

Young Player of the Year - Ashley Young
I'd be surprised if anyone was arguing with this pick

In my opinion, Giggs wouldn't have got ANYWHERE near the top 11, for someone who has only started 8 (?) games this season to be the player of the year is a joke.
Honourable mentions: Lampard, Jagielka, Torres, and Rooney (none have shone throughout the whole season though.
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Diamente on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:43 pm

i'm also confused by the giggs win...

i think anelka might not be in the top lineup if the voting was done now....Torres would probably take his spot...

Mike Diamente
Youth Trainee
Youth Trainee

Number of posts : 44
Goals : 0

Team Supported : AC Milan

View user profile http://ilmondodicalcio.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by torresexual on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:12 am

Giggs won it more for his outstanding contribution to the game over the last 20 odd years more than his performances this season.

torresexual
Youth Trainee
Youth Trainee

Number of posts : 2
Goals : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:26 pm

torresexual wrote:Giggs won it more for his outstanding contribution to the game over the last 20 odd years more than his performances this season.

You hit the nail on the head. Can anyone fault the players for wanting to honor the Premier League's most decorated player? There are other awards to declare the true most valuable player...this is just for the players to dish out some silverware.

Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Team Supported : Manchester United

View user profile http://www.premiershiptalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tay Fish on Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm

torresexual wrote:Giggs won it more for his outstanding contribution to the game over the last 20 odd years more than his performances this season.

I was thinking the exact same thing as Brian...sure Giggsy had his share of great performances, but was his season as a whole the best out of everybody...not at all. The players did the right thing in choosing him though...just another award that Giggsy has to find a place for on his ever expanding mantle hahaha

Key Player

Number of posts : 663

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackburnbob on Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 pm

Well i agree with what you guys are saying, he has indeed put a lot in and deserves maybe a lifteime acheivement award or something, but this was for player of the year and he certainly wasn't that.
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Aha, that's where you are mistaken, Blackburnbob. This award is the Players' Player of the Year. It goes not to who played the best, but who the players determine as the player of the year.

Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Tay Fish on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:30 pm

ya i can't really see anyway to argue with the players' player of the year...how could you possibly argue with the person that all of the players chose? they compete against them and know what is going on with them...we just watch them and wish that we could be on the pitch alongside these guys.

Key Player

Number of posts : 663

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackburnbob on Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Yeah i understand the concept Brian, i still don't see how he was player of the year, no matter who voted, as i say lifetime acheivement yes player of the year definately not
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:43 am

It pretty much made a mockery out of the award. The players are supposed to vote for the best player of the year not an outstanding acheivement award. Like you say there are other awards dished out to find the best player, but this always seems to be the big one.. i don't really see why after this years..
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down