USA v Mexico

Go down

USA v Mexico Empty USA v Mexico

Post by Brian on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:51 am

Should be an absolutely fantastic match. Wednesday night on ESPN2, and I can't wait.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Team Supported : Manchester United

View user profile http://www.premiershiptalk.com

Back to top Go down

USA v Mexico Empty Re: USA v Mexico

Post by j6pini on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:07 pm

Cannot wait. Usually I don't look forward to international week(end)s, but this is not only a great rivarly, but the chips are down because it is a WCQ hexagonal game.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 270
Goals : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dani on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Pretty good game. US deserved the win. They did a much better job controlling the midfield. Mexico had spurts of playing well but they didn't really do much for large parts of the game.

Anyone know if Franco is hurt or is he just not being picked anymore?

I didn't get a good look of the red card. It looked like a foul to me but ESPN only showed 1 replay and it was at a bad angle. So I can't say if it was justified or not. From what I saw it wasn't a red card but again, I didn't get a good look of it. You'd think they'd show more than 1 replay at more than 1 angle.

Dani
Academy Regular
Academy Regular

Number of posts : 103

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:01 am

I'm not so sure it warranted a straight red, but I guess it depends on your perspective. By the book it probably was, because it was studs-up and reckless. But there was no malicious intent, so maybe some refs would have just given yellow.

But on the game as a whole, I'm very happy. It may have lacked flair, but it was exciting and the US team were very well organized as usual under Bradley. Also as usual, the US was very good on set pieces, both offensively and defensively. These are the team's strengths, as they seldom weave together brilliant offensive attacks like the top teams in the world. It's the perfect game to kick off the hexagonal round.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian on Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:16 am

It was definitely a straight red. Both of you are right, though, ESPN's one replay didn't show much unless by chance you were looking at Marquez's feet. He blatantly kicked out at Howard in midair, with no intent for the ball and studs aimed straight at T-Ho.

The US played well, and Michael Bradley keeps proving me wrong.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Team Supported : Manchester United

View user profile http://www.premiershiptalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini on Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:00 am

Here's another thought: what do people think about Freddy Adu being left out? He was not even brought with the team. I think Bradley left him out because he opted to go with a more physical and veteran team. It's also possible that Sacha Kljestan has established the offensive midfield position on the team, pushing Adu out, and therefore Adu just didn't fit into the plan. But I'd like to see him back in future WCQ games.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down