Premiership Talk Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eto'o for Ibrahimovic deal

Go down

Eto'o for Ibrahimovic deal Empty Eto'o for Ibrahimovic deal

Post by j6pini on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:15 am

What a ripoff. Eto'o+45m+Hleb for Ibrahimovic. I don't understand this. Eto'o is better than Ibrahimovic; Inter should be paying Barca. Does anybody think Ibra is better than Eto'o, is the difference worth 45m+Hleb? The scale weighs very much in Jose's favor on this one, I don't get it.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 270
Goals : 0

Back to top Go down

Eto'o for Ibrahimovic deal Empty Re: Eto'o for Ibrahimovic deal

Post by Blackburnbob on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:04 am

The deal is wrong, if i had the choice i would go with Eto'o but i think Ibrahimovic is a quality player too.
Blackburnbob
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 650
Goals : 2

Team Supported : Blackburn/Scarborough/Revs!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Don't rate Ibra that much. Way too lazy and over-rated for my liking. Eto'o is a much better player, i would prefer him in my team anyday.
Andy
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Dani on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:51 pm

One of the most one sided deals I have ever seen. Huge mistake on Barcelona's part.

Dani
Academy Regular
Academy Regular

Number of posts : 103

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackburnbob on Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:49 am

Could be method in the madness, think Real, they are buying the best of everything will it gel together? Probably not! Maybe Ibrahimovic will fit in at Barca, only time will tell!
Blackburnbob
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini on Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:11 am

Yeah but they could have bought Villa for much less, and we already know he plays well with a couple Barca players from the Spanish national team. Unless Valencia told them flat out Villa wasn't going anywhere, I don't understand why they didn't go after him instead, and sell Eto'o separately. And even still, I wouldn't make the deal that they did make.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfred on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:10 am

I think there's a couple of very rational reasons for this move.

1. Eto'o only has one year of contract left, so Barca have to either renew or sell. Since the club is not willing to renew with a better salary, they have chosen to chip in rather than let him walk free. This gives Inter a huge upper hand in the negotiations, since Barca are desperate to get rid of Eto'o while Inter wouldn't really mind sticking with Ibra a couple seasons longer.

2. Guardiola does not favor Eto'o. This has been known for a while, almost a year now, when the coach named Eto'o in the transferables during last summer. He stayed, but no one thought it would be for long. While he may be a great striker, maybe one of the best 9s in the world, he has a hot temper and not an easily personality to deal with. One has to respect the coach's decision, and so does the club.

3. Lack of liquidity. Barca do not have a lot of cash at hand. This is why they'd rather pay 40 mil + assets for Ibra than 50 mil for Villa. We've known for most of the summer that Barca only have 30 mil for transfers.

4. Guardiola's #1 choice for replacement. Ibra is the ideal candidate for Eto'o. If you have any doubt on this matter go watch some of his games at Ajax. He has been indoctrinated with attacking football, will add height to the team, and is probably one of the world's best at assisting. More importantly, Guardiola is in love with him.

5. Two birds with one stone. With this deal Barca solves two problems, how to get rid of Eto'o and who to replace him with. Although Barca are paying an expensive price for this solution.

6. The CR9 effect. Player inflation has been all the rage this summer, mainly due to Real's royal signings. This affects both Ibra (who's worth 80 mil to inter) and Eto'o (who's worth 25-35 to Barca)

7. Competitive edge. How do you keep winning after you won it all? Guardiola's biggest fear this summer is stagnation. After winning a historic triplete players will not be as motivated to try again as hard this year. Bringing in a player (and a couple more) who yearns for the CL will fix that. And every cule dreams of stealing the 10th CL from Real at the Bernabeu, even Guardiola.

8. Valencia's refusal to sell Villa. After deciding to sell the player, not to sell the player, to sell it for a huge fee, not to sell it for a huge fee, to ask for even more Barca got fed up. So instead they went to Inter. I would call Valencia's management the catalyst for this move. It's a true shame, since Villa was willing to decrease his salary to pay for the difference to move to Barca. The biggest tragedy of this summer.

9. Barca didn't do their homework. Florentino has stated for months before he was president of Real that he would spend 300 million into the market. Should Barca have approached and closed a deal before Ronaldo's signing there's absolutely no way this would have gone over Eto'o + 15, but Barca (and most specifically Txiki Bergistain) were still euphoric about the triplete to even take this into account.

Hope I shed some light into this matter, when you take all the factors into account it's not as irrational as it may first appear. It's true that goal wise both players are probably not 45 million euros apart, but Barca have to sell him, they need new blood into their team, Ibra would adapt very well into their style, Guardiola loves Ibra and Ibra loves Barca, and it would be wise for the club to keep the coach that got them the historic triplete happy. Add to that the changed player's worth dude to Real's spending and you have a mammoth deal in your hands.

Last edited by Alfred on Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

Alfred
Youth Trainee
Youth Trainee

Number of posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini on Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:27 pm

Quote from Mourinho:

"This seems an extraordinary deal to me, a €100m (£86m) deal, the deal of the summer...For me it's worth 100 million because Eto'o is not worth a euro less than Ibra" (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12040_5452868,00.html).

There you go.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:14 pm

Also, POW! each player had signed a five year deal before the deal was completed, so the paying-more-for-Zlatan-because-Eto'o-is-only-signed-for-one-more-year excuse is out the window. It was just a stupid deal. In my humble opinion.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:58 pm

It is quite ridiculous. I rate Eto'o as better then Ibra, considering the situation of the clubs i reckon just a straight swap would have been more than justified. Maybe chuck in Hleb since he's not worth much at all! haha
Andy
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfred on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:39 pm

Whoever said that Eto'o signed a five year deal before the deal is lying... during the presentation of Ibra Laporta (Barca president) stated that they priced Eto'o at 20 million euros because he only had one year of contract left.

Also, am I the only one that finds Ibra to be the better player, leagues ahead? Ibra is a player that almost singlehandedly made Inter champions two years in a row. Eto'o would have scored half the goals he did if he didn't have Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi behind him, and the lack of a creative midfield behind him this season will prove that. Barca paid the price for one of the greats, and they got him. Eto'o's a great striker, but he simply doesn't make his teammates better while he's playing, and that's the true quality of a world class player.

Alfred
Youth Trainee
Youth Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini on Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:39 am

On your first paragraph: First part is incorrect, second correct. Eto'o DID sign a five year deal.

Here is the ESPN link: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=663351&sec=transfers&cc=5901.

Here is the Sky Sports link: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_5449958,00.html.

The correct part: Barca valued him at 20mil. Here are the two possibilities for Eto'o:
1. Stay with Barca for 1 more year. Value: 20 mil.
2. Play with Inter for 5 more years. Value: much more than 20 mil.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackburnbob on Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:47 pm

I rate them the same, pro's and con's for both
Blackburnbob
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Alfred on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:46 pm

j6pini wrote:On your first paragraph: First part is incorrect, second correct. Eto'o DID sign a five year deal..

Sorry, completely misunderstood what you were saying, I thought you said Eto'o had resigned with Barca for 5 years

Alfred
Youth Trainee
Youth Trainee

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 pm

We are talking about the same Eto'o that had scored well over 100 goals in La liga in around 150 games right? How Ibrahimovic is even rated close to him is bemusing quite frankly.
Andy
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down