Premiership Talk Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The England Under-Achievement thread!

4 posters

Go down

The England Under-Achievement thread! Empty The England Under-Achievement thread!

Post by Joe Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:56 pm

Its no secret that something is seriously wrong inside the England camp.
It seems nobody can put their finger on what that exactly is. Pundits have suggested many reasons such as;

Management,
Over-Paid,
Big-Ego's,
Wrong formation,
English players domestically,
Can't play together,

Blah Blah Blah.

Since the 1990 World Cup, England have never seriously looked like winning anything. I personally feel England are crying out for a midfielder who can run with the ball. A Paul Gascoigne style midfielder. Lampard, Gerrard and Barry can all pass a ball to perfection, but none of them can grab the ball in the center of midfield and beat 3 or 4 players. If we found a midfielder with the capability to do this, things could really start to click for England. Then the manager has the choice of the 3 midfielders above to play in the vacant center midfield position and were laughing. The time has come to drop a world class player. We are going to get nowhere if we don't. On paper, i genuinely feel we have the best squad in the world.

I was just interested in your thoughts on the matter?
Joe
Joe
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 156
Goals : 0

Team Supported : Hull City

http://www.premiershiptalk.com

Back to top Go down

The England Under-Achievement thread! Empty Re: The England Under-Achievement thread!

Post by Brian Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:14 pm

I completely agree with you. When I look at England's squad, I ask myself how they could possibly not be the best side in the world.

If there was a midfielder like Joe Cole who played centrally, England would have a lot more success. You guys also need to sort a keeper out - Ben Foster should get his chance.

Finally, Wayne Rooney needs to start playing like a striker and he needs to have a solid strike partner.
Brian
Brian
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Team Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

The England Under-Achievement thread! Empty Re: The England Under-Achievement thread!

Post by Joe Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Ever manger in the last 10 years has tried to fit everybody in.

Look at Wednesday night:

gerrard lampard barry all in the same team! its not going to work!
its so fustrating.
Joe
Joe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:27 pm

I think the problem is that England managers typically pick teams based on reputation. Players like David Bentley should be picked over a past-it David Beckham.
Brian
Brian
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Team Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:31 pm

Agree to some extent.

I still think beckham has a role to play as a squad player though.
Joe
Joe
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:04 pm

Don't think England under-acheive at all. The team just simply aren't good enough. The majority of the players are very over-rated. Such as both full backs.

We have no strikers that can cut it at international level. I include Rooney in this statement by the way. If he is to play (which i don't think he should) then he needs to be put on a leash so he can't stray into midfield/defense ALL the time. Just watched him against Portsmouth and second half and dont think i saw him in Portsmouth's penalty area the whole time.

Yeah one the the central midfielders needs to be dropped. Gerrard and Lampard certainly can't play together as has been proven on man occasions.
Andy
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackburnbob Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:27 pm

Maybe a tad bias but i would like to see Warnock back in the England squad he had a really good season with us last year, extremely consistent.
Blackburnbob
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 650
Goals : 2

Team Supported : Blackburn/Scarborough/Revs!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down