Premiership Talk Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

English Footballer of the Year

5 posters

Go down

English Footballer of the Year Empty English Footballer of the Year

Post by j6pini Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:25 pm

There have been a few predictions thrown around the forum and podcast about this year's Footballer of the Year. I thought we could put them all in one thread. My pick is Gerrard. The success of the other top clubs have not been galvanized over a single player the way Liverpool's has been (yes, I watch plenty of non-Liverpool games). In the past Gerrard has been the heart and soul of the team, the creative offensive midfielder and a proven matchwinner with the game on the line. This year he has been not only that, but the primary source of goals. He also responded to his off the field issue by turning in only dominating performances since then, even through a couple tough draws to Everton (in which he scored both of Liverpool's goals). As long as Liverpool is in the race till the end, he's got to be the favorite for the award.

Any other favorites?

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 270
Goals : 0

Back to top Go down

English Footballer of the Year Empty Re: English Footballer of the Year

Post by Brian Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:31 pm

I disagree that other teams' haven't been characterized by a single player. To be honest, without Vidic I think United would be in third. It's Vidic for me, Gerrard in second. They've both been carrying their teams, but it's clearly working a bit more for Vida.

I will, however, say that if Liverpool win the Prem, Gerrard deserves it. If not, Vidic it is. Carried the team through an unbelievable amount of injuries.
Brian
Brian
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Team Supported : Manchester United

http://www.premiershiptalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackburnbob Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:21 am

PErsonally, although he may not have scored the most goals or got the most clean sheets, he has really come of age and i cannot see how Fabio can leave him out now, i would go for Ashley Young, also Agbonlahor has come on quite well (been a bit quiet last few weeks though)
Blackburnbob
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 650
Goals : 2

Team Supported : Blackburn/Scarborough/Revs!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:53 pm

Vidic carrying united? What!?
Andy
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Tay Fish Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:55 pm

It's very true! Vidic has been the centerpiece of that defense all season. There hasn't been a CONSISTENT goalscorer, and defense has been winning it for them. Vidic has been there all season long. He has been a true leader on the field. He didn't win player of the month for doing nothing.
Tay Fish
Tay Fish
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 663
Goals : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:38 pm

I have heard Vidic's name come up for this award in other media outlets too, and he's obviously put in a major contribution to the team both holding the injured defence together and scoring a few critical goals (including an 89th minute winner vs Sunderland if I'm remembering correctly). But based on what we've seen in Liverpool's form with Gerrard vs. without him, I don't see Vidic beating him out for the award. Only if Liverpool finish more than 5 or 6 points behind United do I see that happening.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 270
Goals : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:42 pm

I don't think there's any denying that United has only been held together by defense. *cough* 1-0 *cough*. Vidic has been the glue in that defense all season.
Brian
Brian
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 566
Goals : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Hm k i'm persuaded.