Premiership Talk Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adams Out at Portsmouth?

3 posters

Go down

Adams Out at Portsmouth? Empty Adams Out at Portsmouth?

Post by j6pini Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:51 pm

The top story on SkySports.com right now says that Tony Adams is reported to be getting sacked tomorrow morning (Monday). Obviously this is not altogether surprising, and Saturday's dramatic loss to Liverpool was the perfect sort of game to seal the decision (that game which, by the way, was like a great book: at times I laughed, at times I despaired, and in the end I did about twenty fist pumps and made a phone call.)

My question, though, is: was Adams a good choice in the first place? Good player, yes. But hasn't he been viewed as sort of a quacky guy his entire career in the game? In other words, sometimes you look at a player and say someday he'll make a great manager-- Adams has never been that sort of person, has he? Why didn't the club look for a surer permanent manager sooner (i.e. as soon as Redknapp left)? In the West Ham thread when I posed the possibility of Zola being the best signing of the season, Blackburnbob suggested we wait to see what sort of team he builds in the summer. Well without even waiting for the summer, Adams has incited questions about his team-building ability when he let key players go when the team was already in freefall. I just don't see how he's lasted this long.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 270
Goals : 0

Back to top Go down

Adams Out at Portsmouth? Empty Re: Adams Out at Portsmouth?

Post by Tay Fish Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:53 pm

actually...mr. pini...its the top story on our home page in cased you missed it. He has already been sacked...it's official.
Tay Fish
Tay Fish
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 663
Goals : 2

Team Supported : Manchester United

http://www.premiershiptalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by j6pini Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:45 am

When I began my post the top story on Premtalk wasn't posted yet. Nevertheless, my post wasn't to break the news but to ask everyone's opinion on why he lasted so long. Does Adams still have a managerial future or has he proven inept? And feel free to expand on that question.

j6pini
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 270
Goals : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Tay Fish Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:52 am

hahaha...no worries pini. i was just messing with you. i think he definitely shouldn't have lasted that, and i have no answer as to why he did last that long. i do believe he does have a managerial future though. although he didn't get the job done w/ pompey, i do believe he could start on a lower level, develop his managerial acumen, and move up the ranks again. sure he was a bust with pompey, but i think he deserves a second chance.
Tay Fish
Tay Fish
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 663

Team Supported : Manchester United

http://www.premiershiptalk.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackburnbob Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:47 am

I don't think it was anything to do with Adams, more to do with "clever" Arry, he knew the club had got as far as it was going to go without having a cash injection, when Adams took over he lost Defoe and Diarra, who were 2 of the best players on form for him. They should have at least let him have the summer transfer window, see what he did with that, he was playing with the team Arry left, so he hardly made a mess of it, Transfer windows always show a manager for what he is and what he wants, look at Hughes, he had the window and the money and he is still struggling, will he last much longer? Probably not but he can't say he never got a fair throw of the dice. They should have never got rid of Sven, he was doing wonders for City without the money!!
Blackburnbob
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 650

Team Supported : Blackburn/Scarborough/Revs!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down