Premiership Talk Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Instant Replay in the Prem??

4 posters

Go down

Instant Replay in the Prem?? Empty Instant Replay in the Prem??

Post by John Pini Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:19 am

I found an article on ESPNsoccernet w/ quotes from Mark Hughes saying the Prem should introduce instant replay for game-changing calls such as penalty decisions. Does that sort of thing even exist in other English sports? Over here (US) it's been used in American football for about 6 or 7 years and it has been implemented in baseball just a couple weeks ago. The argument against it is usually it slows the game down and referees' decisions are part of the game. But the argument for it is obvious and I like the idea of using it for critical calls only, such as penalty decisions and would-be goals (was the player offside, did the ball cross the line?).

John Pini
Academy Regular
Academy Regular

Number of posts : 50
Goals : 0

Back to top Go down

Instant Replay in the Prem?? Empty Re: Instant Replay in the Prem??

Post by Blackburnbob Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:06 pm

I like the idea of critical calls, penaltys and such but i think it will start getting abused and everytime the ref blows his whistle it will be game stop and check the video which would indeed make the games go on forever. I think if it is implemented it should only be used in situations of serious accusations e.g. penaltys and sendings off, it should not be used for yellow cards and so on.
Blackburnbob
Blackburnbob
Key Player
Key Player

Number of posts : 650
Goals : 2

Team Supported : Blackburn/Scarborough/Revs!!

Back to top Go down

Post by faraaz Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:49 pm

Yea, its a very iffy subject. There are British sports that do use it, like Cricket. But i do agree with blackburnbob with how it should be used, only in certain situations, penalties yes, but no yellow cards or some stupid arsehole tripping over air looking for a yellow. the thing that is the problem with this is that football doesn't stop time, american sports stop time all the time, and is based on a buzzer. cricket doesn't even have a time clock, it just uses the sun and overs. football is based on just two halves, and a little bit of stoppage. should we just extend the stoppage, or change into buzzers, or stop time. its just going to mess the flow of the match.

faraaz
Academy Regular
Academy Regular

Number of posts : 60
Goals : 0

Team Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:47 am

I only agree with video technology being used for goals. Otherwise let the referee and linesman get on with their jobs.
Andy
Andy
Rotation Player
Rotation Player

Number of posts : 251
Goals : 3

Team Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down